Parents & Spectators
UpdatedTuesday March 28, 2017 byFrank Brady.
By registering their child, parents agree to learn of and abide by the Club's Policies and Guidelines as outlined in the VSSC Parent/Coach Guide. Please take a moment to read it. Please read also the Code of Conduct below which parents agree to when registering their children in the club.
Parent/Child Code of Conduct & Consent
Preamble: The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of characters.”
I therefore agree:
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team. This includes shouting instructions from the sidelines because it may not only conflict with the coach's instructions and confuse my child and/or other players, but it will also impede their free thinking and game making decisions (two essential skills for a soccer player).
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also deemphasize results of intramural games and competition in the lower age groups.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches or referees at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will learn and abide by the rules of the game and the policies of the Club as noted in the Parent/Coaches Guide posted on the Club website (ValleyStreamSoccerClub.com).
- I will remember that children participate to have fun, learn the game and that the game is for their enjoyment.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I (and my guest) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at every game, practice or other event.
- I (and my guest) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing, taunting, and refusing to shake hands or the use of profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the children.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and making my child feels like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but not limit to the following:
- Verbal warning by officials, coaches, and/or the heads of the VSSC
- Written Warning from the VSSC
- Parental/Child game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by the VSSC.
- Game forfeit through the Club (VSSC)
- Parental/Child seasonal Suspension
- Removal from the club without any refund
- I understand there is no guarantee that my child will be placed on a specific team or with a specific coach in the Fall and/or Spring seasons. There are No Refunds and I will be billed for any charges the Club will incur for my bounced checks. Also, due to weather, holidays, and other circumstances, there is no guarantee to the number of Red Bull training sessions my child may receive in one season.